Laura qualified into the Commerce and Technology department as an associate in September 2012. Laura is a member of the firm’s agent law and fashion law teams. She was promoted to senior associate in 2018.
To date, Laura has acted for various clients in relation to contentious and non-contentious matters. In particular she has advised a number of fashion principals on their commercial agreements.
Examples of the work which Laura has recently carried out include:
- Acting for a well-known UK homewares company in respect of the termination of the agency of three agents and their respective entitlements under the Commercial Agents Regulations.
- Advising a footwear brand over the course of several months on the termination of a number of their agents across Europe, the process which the client should follow, the calculation of the indemnity payments due to each agent and the overall exposure to the business.
- Acting for a natural resources company in respect of a former German agent’s claim for compensation and negotiating a satisfactory settlement.
- Advising a bed manufacturer principal in respect of its exposure to a former agent who retired on grounds of age and illness and with whom it did not have a formal written agency agreement.
- Reviewing the terms of a distributorship agreement between a Dutch fashion brand and one of their most high profile fashion distributors in Europe, and advising the distributor on its non-compete obligations under the agreement.
- Revising an existing agency agreement for the principal, a handbag company, and re-drafting the agreement to include clauses which sought to minimise the principal’s exposure to agents and maximise the agent’s performance.
- Drafting international trademark licenses and domain name transfers whilst liaising with foreign lawyers to obtain local law advice.
- Drafting and advising on a variety of commercial contracts in respect of data protection, compliance with UCTA and amendments to privacy policies to ensure compliance with the cookies laws.
Laura graduated from Bristol University in 2008 with an honours degree in Law. After taking a gap year during which she worked in a small law firm and then spent time in Spain and Central America, Laura completed the LPC in 2010, achieving a distinction.