Head of Fox Williams’ commerce and technology team Stephen Sidkin spoke at a seminar organised by the Union Internationale des Avocats (UIA) supported by the Turin Bar Association on Saturday 3 July.
Stephen discussed The Rules Protecting Commercial Agents in the European Directive and in the Laws of the Member States. A General Overview. The 30-minute session at 11.15 am (BST) covered:
- The Directive harmonises but does not unify the national rules
- The need to adapt the contract to the applicable domestic law
- Is it possible to minimise the impact of the rules on goodwill indemnity?
- The choice of a law other than the agent’s one. When is such choice effective?
- The choice of the law of a third country: the Ingmar case.
The two-day hybrid seminar took place both in-person in Turin, and with a virtual option through an online platform.